This post was last edited by Onyinyechi Chito at 2021-3-21 15:16 |
Women empowerment is the increasing and improving of the social, economic, political and legal strength of women, to ensure equal right to women. Women empowerment is a very powerful key to economic growth, political stability and social transformation. Empowering Nigerian women to participate in economic and social life across all sectors is essential to building a stronger economy, achieving goals for development and sustainability, and improving the quality of life in Nigeria as a whole. Today, we cannot think of women empowerment in Nigeria without the involvement of mobile technologies, because mobile technological development have brought about revolution and positive changes in the life of various Nigerian women. Smart phones in general are critical tools for women empowerment in Nigeria and this cannot be over emphasized. Putting a smartphone in a woman's hands can be a powerful tool to support sustainable development goals.
Highlighting the few out of many roles played by smart phones in empowering Nigerian women, they are as follows:
1. Income Generation: Some Nigerian women have created businesses through the use of smart phones while some are utilizing the smartphone as the advertisement plug for their various businesses. This has resulted in great income generation for Nigerian women.
2. Effective Communication: Smart phones enables better and effectivecommunication for Nigerian women through various social media platforms, giving them the opportunity to be closer to their loved ones.
3. Reduction in Women's Victimization: Smart phones with connection to the internet creates a platform for Nigerian women's voices to be heard towards cultural, social, domestic and gender victimization. Positive revolutions has been successfully carried out with smart phones towards the impaired treatment of women.
4. Access to Information: Through the connection of smart phones to the internet, Nigerian women now has access to exclusive and informative news within Nigeria and beyond.
5. Employment: Smart phones has lead and is still leading to the development of Nigerian women entrepreneurs, to the extent of having them work from the comfort of their homes.
6. Education: Smart phones tremendously offers a lot of Nigerian women the opportunity to enroll in different educational programmes via internet. Lectures, examinations and certificates are now easily obtained through smart phones without having to be physically present.
7. National Development: Smart phones has made and is making various Nigerian women super intelligent and competent enough in certain areas, and have proved to be much ahead of some Nigerian men.
8. Reduction in Corruption: Smart phones enables most Nigerian women to know their rights and duties, not allowing others to violate their rights, and not participating in the activities that contributes to corruption.
In conclusion, smart phones are now seen as an important tool to women empowerment in Nigeria. The acceptance of smart phones has empowered Nigerian women whether working or nonworking, through its various applications which are easy to use as well. Smart phones has made Nigerian women more independent and capable enough to take their own decisions.
Uba Chito Onyinyechi,
Nnamdi Azikiwe University,
Parasitology and Entomology,