Trust you are faring well. We found it needful and very important to educate everyone on the subject 'Mental Health'.
Often times, when we see the phrase mental health, we're quick to picture the mad person we see on the road or some depressed or suicidal individual. Hardly do we realize that mental wellness, or the lack of it, applies to us all and anyone could experience an imbalance at any time. Your brain does a lot of work handling your thoughts and emotions. It is only fair, that you give it the care and attention it deserves.
WHAT IS MENTAL HEALTH:
Mental Health is the level of psychological well-being of an individual. It is the state where a person can function at a satisfactory level of emotional and behavioral adjustment. It includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It also affects how we think, feel, and act.
Our mental health determines how we handle stress, relate to others, and make life choices. It is a crucial state of well-being at every stage in life. a disruption at one stage will ultimately lead to a breakdown in future stages.
WHY IS MENTAL HEALTH IMPORTANT?
Emotional health is an important part of overall health. People who are emotionally healthy are in control of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. They're able to cope with life's challenges. They can keep problems in perspective and bounce back from setbacks. They usually feel good about themselves and are able to have and maintain good relationships.
Being emotionally healthy doesn't mean you're happy all the time. It just means that you're aware of your emotions. You can dream with them, whether positive or negative. You still feel stress, pain, anger, and sadness. But you know how to manage the feelings. You acknowledge when a problem is more than you can handle and see the need to open up and seek help.
SYMPTOMS OF POOR MENTAL HEALTH.
- constantly feeling sad or down.
- confused thinking, reduced ability to concentrate.
- excessive fears and worries.
- extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- withdrawal from people and activities.
- detachment from reality.
- low energy, sleeping problems.
- the inability to cope with simple daily tasks.
- major changes in eating habits.
- suicidal thoughts.
With the tension in the country, it isn't strange to see people panicking over the news they hear. People begin to experience sudden episodes of intense fear and anxiety, accompanied by physical symptoms as a result of perceived threat, no imminent danger.
If you suddenly feel like you've lost control or you're going crazy, or you begin to have heart palpitations/chest pain, here's what to do;
- breathe deeply to counter hyperventilation.
- recognize that it is a panic attack and not a heart attack.
- close your eyes to cut off visual triggers.
- practice mindfulness to keep yourself grounded in your surrounding.
- picture your happy place.
- repeat a mantra internally.
If anyone around you has a panic attack, talk them through these steps reassuringly.
HOW TO DEVELOP AND MAINTAIN GOOD MENTAL HEALTH
- stay aware of your emotions, they are always valid.
- express them in appropriate ways, cry if you need to.
- never suppress or ignore your emotions.
- think through before acting.
- focus on the good amidst the bad.
- take breaks off social media.
- sleep/rest sufficiently.
- eat well.
- engage in worthy distracting activities e.g. watch movies, play games.
HOW DO YOU HELP OTHERS?
- never invalidate a person's emotions.
- watch out for salient calls for help.
- be a safe space for others, don't spread toxicity.
- maintain a positive outlook on life.
- take care of yourself; you can only help others when you are fine.
Positive mental health allows you to realize your full potential, cope with stresses of life, work productively, and be resourceful to your community.
Moving forward, we hope this article is helpful in helping you maintain good mental health and you begin to give your brain the care that it deserves.
We would also like to check your level of understanding and address any questions you may have on Mental Health. To that effect, a contest will hold on this thread for all TECNO Campus Ambassadors tomorrow.
All questions will be sourced from the thread above. Get ready Champs! 5 lucky Ambassadors (each from different campuses) will win fantastic prizes tomorrow. You can be 1 of the lucky 5.
See you all by 6 pm, Saturday, October 24th!
Please Stay Safe Always, TECNO Mobile cares about you.